What is Mold Hypersensitivity?
It is a programmed immunological reaction to toxic mold that occurs due to a balancing act by the body to do as little or as much as necessary to prevent catastrophic cell death. Signs and symptoms of mold hypersensitivity include:
What is Strategic Mold Avoidance?
Strategic Mold Avoidance means using your senses as a guide to determine if a location or environment is safe for you. “Using your senses” is listening to your body and what symptoms you experience when you are in certain locations. For example, I know when a building has toxic mold because I begin to experience heart palpitations, head swelling, brain fog, and irritability. Please note that symptoms vary from person to person.
Learn More About Toxic Mold
- Back From the Edge: How One Man’s Discovery Brought him from Desperately Sick with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to the Top of Mt. Whitney in Six Months
- A Beginner’s Guide to Mold Avoidance: Techniques Used by Hundreds of Chronic Multisystem Illness Sufferers to Improve their Health
- Erik on Avoidance
- Osler’s Web: Inside the Labyrinth of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic. The In-depth Story of the Ominous and Mysterious Disease Afflicting Millions
- Faces of CFS
- The Real History of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Cellular Hypoxia and Neuro-Immune Fatigue: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Orthostatic Intolerance/Dysautonomia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Chronic Lyme Disease
- Mold Warriors: Fighting America’s Hidden Health Threat
- Surviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings
- Desperation Medicine
- Urban Moldy Dictionary: Most Important Terms to Know for Those that Have Been Mold Injured
- Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer’s Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn’t Understand
- The Extremely Unfortunate Skull Valley Incident
- The Mold Medic: An Expert’s Guide on Mold Removal
- A Recovery Manual for Patients and Families Impacted by CIRS
- How to Spot a Fake Mold Expert Part 1
- How to Spot a Fake Mold Expert Part 2
- Mold Testing 101: The Basics of Mold Testing, Things to Consider, and How to Find a Mold Inspector That’s Right for You
- The Importance of Home Maintenance Cleanses Courtesy of the Mold Guy
- DIY Home Maintenance Cleanse, Courtesy of the Mold Guy
- How to Find Mold When Buying or Renting a Home Courtesy of the Mold Guy
- “Killer House” featuring Shemane Nugent
- “What About Me” featuring Erik Johnson
- The Exposing Mold Podcast, featuring Kealy, Erik, and Alicia
Why Do We Recommend Strategic Mold Avoidance?
Exposing Mold recommends Strategic Mold Avoidance because, like an individual with a peanut reactivity, currently, no treatments exist that have been proven to eliminate mold hypersensitivity. However, some supplements, pharmaceuticals, and herbal formulations can help with symptom reduction. Ultimately, the best method of reducing mold hypersensitivity and severity of reactions is to eliminate exposure to toxic mold. It is much easier said than done. That is why we are here to help!
Busting Mold Avoidance Myths
There are many misconceptions about strategic mold avoidance, so we’re here to tackle them head-on to provide you with more clarity.
Truth: No, not all molds are toxic, and not every building harbors toxic mold. Looks are deceiving when it comes to buildings; it is more important to trust how you feel in a building v.s. what you see as “problem areas.”
Truth: The human body is intelligent and knows what to do to heal itself, provided it has the proper tools. The most important tool a mold-injured person needs is a non-toxic environment. Those that say otherwise are usually trying to sell you a product, service, or device to increase their bottom line.
Truth: Mold avoidance is a lifestyle based on trusting your body’s reactions for improved health. It can be done in many ways.
Truth: It is empowering to know that you hold the tools to stay well. Listening to your body is far safer than any supplement, drug, device, treatment, or product.
Truth: Avoidance can simply mean going away for the weekend and returning to your place of residence to see if it is contributing to your health complaints. Everyone is capable of learning how environments can cause negative health symptoms and what to do to avoid them in order to reduce permanent health damage.
Let Us Help You Get Your Life Back.
With over 40 years of combined experience, Exposing Mold is the only health team that understands how to mitigate mold contamination and re-exposures and help calm hypersensitivities without the need for supplements, medications, and spending thousands on treatments. By getting to know your unique situation, we will help you develop an avoidance strategy that fits your lifestyle. When all else fails, using your symptoms as a guide to avoiding toxic exposures is the most important tool to reclaim your health.